Fines, Fees & Borrowing Schedule
Fines, Fees & Borrowing Schedule
The Fines, Fees & Borrowing Schedule may be changed without notice at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Most of materials check out for 3 weeks. This includes books, audiobooks, music cds and DVD sets of 200 minutes or more.
- Magazines and DVDs under 200 minutes check out for one week.
- Patrons are limited to 3 Your Lucky Day (recent popular releases) DVDs per library account.
- Adult Book Club Express kits check out for six weeks. Patrons are limited to one kit at a time.
- Juvenile Book Club Express kits check out for six weeks. Patrons are limited to two kits at a time.
- Each patrons may have up to 99 items checked out at any one time.
- Patrons may download five songs per week from Freegal. The weeks resets on Sundays at 10 p.m.
- The checkout period for Overdrive and 3m materials is set by the patrons at the time of checkout for seven, fourteen, or twenty-one days. Twelve titles may be checked out at any given time.
- Douglas County residents may download 10 items per month from Hoopla.
- Patrons may check out unlimited issues of magazines from Zinio.
Patrons are allowed a maximum of 99 requests at any one time. Overdrive and 3M allow patrons to have 20 holds at a time.
Library items may be renewed up to 8 times. YLD materials, magazines, Book Club Express Kits, eBooks and Inter-Library Loan items may not be renewed.
Circulation Policy for Our Smaller Branches
Items from our Castle Pines, Lone Tree, Louviers and Roxborough locations do not fill holds for patrons at other locations. Our smallest libraries have very limited collections intended primarily for browsing. Patrons may place an item from one of those libraries on hold only for pickup at that same location.
Your Lucky Day items are copies of very popular titles that do not fill holds, but are placed in the libraries for patrons to browse. These items are labeled with a green shamrock, are available first-come, first-served and are not renewable. DCL staff will not hold these items and are unable to verify an item is on the shelf.
DCL offers many Your Lucky Day (YLD) copies of DVDs and Blu-rays of popular films for the first two months after release. Patrons may place holds on titles as soon as they are in the catalog, but typically requests are not filled during this time as all copies are in the YLD collection. These requests will be fulfilled after the two month period.
Overdue & Fines
Patrons will be assessed a 10 cent daily fine for each overdue item with the following exceptions:
- The Library offers a grace period for most material. Items returned or renewed within three days of the due date will not be subject to a fine. Any item going past the grace period date will be assessed a fine from the due date.
- There is a $1.00 daily fine for reference materials.
- Overdue Interlibrary Loan items cost $1.00 per day with no grace period.
- Book Club Express Kits.
- $1.00 per day with no grace period.
- Missing or damaged books or guides cost $10.00 each. If you return a missing item within one year from the original pickup date, $5.00 will be waived or refunded.
- Lost or damaged kits will incur a $140.00 charge.
If a patron accumulates a total of $20 or more in fines and fees, the patron may not check out any library materials until the fine is paid down. If the total exceeds $50, the account may be referred to a collection agency.
The following are the maximum fines for material types in the library:
- Book Club Express - $5
- Professional - $5
- Interlibrary Loan Item - $10
- Interlibrary Loan Item - AV - $10
- Educational Materials - $5
- Reference Materials - $5
Patrons Overdue Notification and Debt Collection Timeline
|Number of days past due date:||Action:|
|12||DCL sends first overdue notice to patron via email or phone.|
|24||DCL sends second overdue notice to patron via email or phone.|
|36||Final notice sent by email or U. S. mail, saying patron will be charged for item(s) not returned.|
|Three weeks later||
|Two weeks later||If patron still owes the library money, collection agency calls the patron at home.|
|Four weeks later||Collection agency sends patron a final letter noting amount due.|
|Two weeks later||If patron fails to resolve account at this point, collection agency moves patron to Secondary Placement. This involves extensive research to find patron who may have moved. Once agency locates patron , it sends a final letter informing patron that if he does not resolve the matter, he will be credit reported.|
|Two weeks after the final letter is sent||If the account is still unresolved, collection agency calls patron at home informing him that he is scheduled to be credit reported if he does not contact DCL to work out a solution. Agency then sends another letter (agency may make up to three more calls to resolve the matter).|
|69 days from first notification from DCL and 120 days after sending to collections (189 days total).||Patron is credit reported.|
|1 If patron reports an item as lost and the replacement value of the item is over $50, or if total account fees/fines go over $50, the collection process starts.
2 DCL's current collection agency is Unique Management Services, Inc.
3 Credit reported if account over $25 after all attempts to contact have been unsuccessful. Account must have a zero balance for 30 days to be removed from collection agency list.
Items Returned to Other Library Systems
The patron is responsible for the item until it reaches a DCL library. DCL is not responsible for these items.
Library Material Replacement
The replacement fee for library materials shall be the full retail value of the materials, as recorded in the library database or in Books in Print. DCL does not accept replacement copies or donations in lieu of payment.
8 1/2" x 11" and 8 1/2" x 14"
Black & white: 10 cents per page and 20 cents per page double-sided.
Color: $1 per page and $2 per page double-sided.
11" x 17"
Black & white: 20 cents per page and 40 cents per page double-sided.
Color: $2 per page and $4 per page double-sided.
The library does accept credit cards and there's a $1 minimum credit card charge per transaction.
Black and white: 10 cents per page; Color $1 per page.
The library sends faxes from the Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Parker, Castle Rock and Roxborough locations. The fee is $1.75 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page. The library cannot accept incoming faxes and cannot send international faxes.