Interlibrary Loan FAQs
Interlibrary Loan FAQs
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the process by which our library requests material from, or supplies material to, another library. Douglas County residents can request materials not owned by Douglas County Libraries free of charge through Interlibrary Loan.
What is available through ILL?
- Books, audio books, music CDs and DVDs older than 6 months
- Photocopies of magazine articles, some genealogy records
What is not available through ILL?
- Items we already own
- Magazines, video games, LPs, VHS, cassettes, Playaways, and ebooks.
- Recently published materials (less than 6 months old)
- Reference and rare books
- Dissertations, microfilm and genealogy materials can be difficult to obtain.
- Microfilm if available is viewed at Philip S. Miller Library in Castle Rock.
What can be photocopied?
- Magazine articles, subject to copyright law. Article Copy Request forms are available at any Douglas County Library.
- Genealogy information. Some libraries will do limited photocopies from a book if an accurate name, date, etc. is provided.
How long does it take to receive an ILL?
- It takes 2-3 weeks if an item is obtained from a Colorado library.
- It can take 6 weeks if an item is popular or only available out-of-state.
- Please consider these factors if you have research deadlines or vacation plans.
- Requests cannot be suspended but can be cancelled by contacting the library or our department.
How do I know when an ILL will arrive?
- When your item arrives it is placed on hold for you and sent to your library branch.
- You are notified in the same manner as your regular holds, by phone, email or text message, and have 6 days to pick it up.
- Materials that are not picked up are considered no longer needed and are returned to the lending library.
How long may I keep an ILL item?
- 3 weeks for books and audio books
- 1-2 weeks for music CDs and DVDs
- An ILL item may not be renewed but can be requested again 4 months after it was first received.
What if an ILL is returned late, damaged, or lost?
- The overdue charge is $1.00 per day with no grace period.
- You are responsible for the cost of a damaged or lost ILL you check out. The cost is determined by the lending library and could be $100 or more.
- Please handle an ILL with care. Do not remove the label or blue card that insures it is checked in and returned to Interlibrary Loan Department.
Questions? Please email us at email@example.com or call 720-348-9540.