1966 - 1969
1966 Nicki Mead and others start talking about the need for a Douglas County Library. Meeting held at Douglas County Courthouse to set up county-wide planning board for publicly funded library. Nicki Mead promotes library concept to Chamber of Commerce. First Friends of the Douglas County Library group holds executive board meeting in April. One dollar to join Friends. Barbecue at Douglas County Fairgrounds raises $550 for library fund in July. Newly appointed Douglas County Library Board consists of Mrs. Henry (Nicki) Mead, Jim McKay, Mrs. Tommy Prince, Mrs. Dean (Ann) Weaver and Mrs. George Livingood. In November 1966, the Douglas County Board of Commissioners appropriates $5000 for library operations in 1967.
1967 Philip S. Miller and his wife, Jerri, donate $25,000 for library construction in May. In August, Alden Briskey is named librarian at an annual salary of $5,317.20. Library opens in temporary space at 311 Third St., Castle Rock in August. Library system begins setting up public library operations in Louviers Village Club.
1968 At this time, there are 842 regular borrowers. Eight bookmobile stops provided by Plains and Peaks Library System of Colorado Springs. In June, the Friends of the Douglas County Library win a national publicity award - the John Cotton Dana Award. Groundbreaking for new Castle Rock Library held in September. On Dec. 10, 1968, "the first public library in the history of Douglas County" (1800 sq. ft.) opens at 303 N. Gilbert St. in Castle Rock.
1969 One-half mill earmarked by Douglas County for library operations. On Apr. 26, new Castle Rock Library is dedicated. Douglas County News publishes souvenir edition on library opening in May. In July, Denver Post Empire magazine prints article "Forty Years Later, a Library" by Joanne Ditmer regarding Douglas County Public Library. "Douglas County on Parade" home tour to raise money for landscaping of new library raises $1685 in September.